2023 AmeriCorps State Funding Opportunity
Published: September 19, 2022
Application Due Date: Thursday, October 27, 2022
CFDA Number: 94.006
Contact Information: Funding@cv.ca.gov
California Volunteers (CV), the State Service Commission for California, is now accepting applications for 2023-2024 AmeriCorps State funding. Successful applicants receive federal funds and an allotment of full-time or part-time AmeriCorps member positions to help address community problems through service and volunteer action.
AmeriCorps members dedicate a year of their life to intensive community service in exchange for a modest living stipend and Segal Education Award. The experience often leads to a life enriched by meaningful service and in many cases, a career in the non-profit sector or public service.
AmeriCorps programs address critical community needs including education, climate action, disaster services, environmental stewardship, and food security. Sample member activities include tutoring and mentoring youth, job training/placement, home visitation, response to local disasters, restoring natural habitats, organizational capacity building, and supporting and connecting high-need populations to critical services and resources. AmeriCorps members also mobilize community volunteers and strengthen the capacity of the organizations where they serve.
Nonprofit organizations and state and local government agencies are eligible to apply. All applicants must have active registration with the System for Award Management (SAM) at https://www.sam.gov/SAM/.
The following priority areas will receive preference in the California Volunteers grant selection process:
- Climate Action: Supporting and educating communities to become more resilient through measures that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, prevent and mitigate wildfires, conserve land and water, reduce resource use, and/or increase renewable energy use.
- Environmental Stewardship: Improving at-risk ecosystems, improving use and protection of natural environment, and/or increasing sustainable practices and education to build resilience in natural ecosystems and communities.
- Education: Improving educational outcomes for economically disadvantaged children, including improved school readiness; improved educational and behavioral outcomes of students in low-achieving elementary, middle, and high schools; and/or increasing readiness and access for post-secondary education and career opportunities.
- Food Security: Increasing food security and stability for our most vulnerable communities
- Disaster Services: Helping individuals and communities prepare for, respond to, recover from, and mitigate the effects of disasters and increasing community resiliency.
- Resource Access: Providing access to vital resources, services, and benefits critical to moving our most vulnerable communities from crisis to stability through peer support, resource navigation, and case management.
- Programs that foster community engagement and social cohesion.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to submit a Notice of Intent to Apply by completing the short survey by clicking here. Please complete this survey by October 14, 2022.
The deadline for applications to the 2023 AmeriCorps State Funding Opportunity is Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. All application components must be received by that deadline. See Application Instructions for submission guidelines.
The following documents are required to complete the 2023 AmeriCorps State Grant Application:
- Request for Applications
- Mandatory Supplemental Guidance
- 2023 Application Instructions
- 2023 National Performance Measure Instructions
- Proposed Site Locations List
- California Performance Measurement Worksheet
- Labor Organization Certification Form
- Operational and Financial Management Survey
- AmeriCorps Organizational Self Assessment
- Evaluation Plan Template
- STD204 Payee Data Form
- AmeriCorps Budget Worksheet
- Request for Alternative Match Schedule
- New Applicant Certification
Additional Documents (to be prepared by applicant)
- Address List for Board of Directors
- Audited Financial Statements
- Schedule of Federal Expenditures
- Single Audit (if required)
Technical Assistance Opportunities
AmeriCorps State Funding Opportunity Overview and Q+A - Tuesday, September 27, 1pm PST
This session will introduce the AmeriCorps State grant, including its purpose and requirements, provide an overview of the Request for Applications (RFA), and the application process and timeline. All re-competing applicants are highly encouraged to attend this session due to the new changes in the application submission process.
AmeriCorps Budget Development – Tuesday, October 4, 2pm PST
This session will provide guidance about how to create a compliant grant budget for an AmeriCorps program. Participants should review the Budget Instructions section of the Application Instructions as well as resources available on the AmeriCorps Knowledge Network Financial and Grants Management webpage, prior to attending this session.
AmeriCorps State Funding Application Forms and Selection Criteria – Thursday, October 6, 1pm PST
This session will go over the application components and the scoring criteria in greater detail. The information from this session will help applicants in producing a complete and competitive application.
Developing Performance Measures – Tuesday, October 11, 1pm PST
This session will help applicants better understand the California Performance Measurement worksheet and the Performance Measurement module in eGrants as well as determine compliant outputs and outcomes.
Demonstrating Evidence – Thursday, October 13, 1pm PST
In this session, participants will learn how to identify their program’s level of evidence and how to support it with relevant data, studies, and/or evaluation reports. Prior to attending this session, participants should review the Request for Applications and the Mandatory Supplemental Guidance section on Evidence Base and Evidence Tiers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions received by email or in any technical assistance opportunities will be collected and answered on a weekly Frequently Asked Questions document posted below.